Rhythm as a Healing Element

Handmade Drum Stock Photos - Image: 1043523

Last week I talked about rhythm – the most basic element of music – and how we are born to live rhythmically. We are born with a basic beat, a heartbeat, and live our lives at regular intervals, minute to minute, hour by hour, day and night, month to month, year to year.

Rhythm sets us up to predict: we pretty much know what comes after 1, 2, 3, _. But what happens, although we continue to have a heartbeat day and night and year to year, when we live our lives with unpredictability? What if we go to school and come home at the same time every day, but we don’t sleep or eat at regular intervals? What happens when Monday through Sunday, day and night happen at regular intervals, but the events, or our perceptions of them, don’t occur regularly? How do we count on what will probably happen next? How do we learn to trust ourselves or life? How does this affect our brains? Life is full of unpredictability, but we as humans count on the large amount of predictability to organize, to feel safe, to trust, and to be able to move forward.

Rhythm, the forward movement element of music, is the element of predictability of regularly scheduled output. It only makes sense how a very natural element of life can be used to heal without bringing any foreign chemicals in to alter the healthy functioning that already exists.

I have noticed that groups of children who live with unpredictability of one kind or another thrive unpredictability. When the children with chaotic lives are put together in a group, rhythm becomes my magnetic, magic wand, pulling everyone the same direction. For example, the two day-and-night autistic brothers, one who craves calm and serene, the other craves loud excitement and activity, have obviously different needs and strengths.  As I play my guitar to the grounded swinging of the swing of one brother, the other comes in unannounced, hops on a swing, and automatically, the boys are swinging in sync, going at the same rate, the same direction, the same time to the guitar beat (http://www.pondscienceinstitute.on-rev.com/).

The music alters back and forth from major to minor keys to delight each boy’s craving, yet the magnetic beat stays the same, pulling each boy’s focus towards myself and towards one another, and even pulling the swings in the same direction. This happens frequently. How often do you see children on swingsets that are swinging at the same rate?

When I work with children who are born into this world with brains and bodies that perceive the world around in a predictable fashion, but the world around them does not provide that predictability, the result is chaos. Once again, my pervading, magnetic wand, providing the repetitive, predictable sequencing these children need, becomes the leading force in this group. The basic rhythm either energizes or calms, providing containment for the group. The rhythm pulls their attention together and their bodies and minds into synchronized focus. Sometimes only briefly, but over time they do it on their own. They need a predictable healing agent before they can behave like “expected.” “Expected” isn’t that based on prediction, what we know is going to happen. Children need predictability over time in order to experience “expectation” and understand it. I find the amazing thing about rhythm is that it is so strong of a healing component, that if I have a new group of children with little experience of predictability, and I am, at the moment, the only one providing it, it takes a little repetition for them to be able to experience, understand, rely on, and then act in sync with expectation (or rhythm). However, if this same group gains enough experience with predictability and rhythm, and a new child, filled with chaos and unpredictability, is introduced to the group, the pull of the group rhythm makes the experience time shorter for the new child in order to fall into focus with the rest. I find that predictability-experienced children, after they have learned how to act with expectation (or respond to the beat), can then tolerate and respond quickly to layers of the elements placed on top of the rhythm, such as melody, harmony, silence, and the variation of rhythm. When new children are introduced to the group, the layers, if any, need to be then highly predominated by the pervading wand of rhythm.

If rhythm can be such a strong healing agent, then can we expect to place a metronome in the room with the same result? Do babies thrive when they are placed in a playpen, fed, and changed at regular intervals, but have little human contact? Of course not. Rhythm is the element, but we, as Music Therapists, are the agents who provide the element in the proper dosage.

Antoinette Morrison MT-BC

Comments

comments

Comments

1. Abby Connors February 25, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I love this! Deeply insightful and inspiring. Thank you!

2. Beth Propst February 25, 2013 at 11:34 pm

I, too have seen how music is a powerful tool with autistic students/children. Your article is most insightful.

• Antoinette February 26, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Thank you Beth, Do you work with autistic children also?

3. Conor Clerkin February 26, 2013 at 12:19 am

I agree with Abby – a very ‘moving’ and clear piece of writing. Great stuff, keep it up!

4. Glenna Cook February 27, 2013 at 5:23 am

One of our grandsons has a relatively mild case of Authisium. He also has a truly wonderful Mom who is speach pathologist, and was able from early in this child’s childhood to kept his life in a routine. He has been privileged to live in the rhythm you speak about in your wonderful blog. He is 16 now and is discovering where and how he will fit into the world and adulthood. He drives a car, works his sheep, welds beautifully and can repair about anything, though he reads little. He has computer programs that read to him. His life is still full of steady and continuing rhythm. Congradulation to you for the work you are doing and for a fantastic attitude. Your artical was really great. I hope it reaches a lot of people who need to read and understand the true importance of rhythm in life. May God richly bless you and your work.
    Glenna Cook recently posted..Advantages of the Animal Note Method of Beginning MusicMy Profile

• Antoinette February 28, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Thank you so much Glenna! It sounds like your very blest grandson had been fortunate enough to have people who not only care but also have the insight to understand.

5. Mariken Jaspers February 27, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Dear Antoinette,
    Reading your article, which I like very much, I was wondering if you are familiar with Ronnie Gardiners Rythm&Music(RGRM)Method. In his method we use music, and specially rythm, to move. In Europe (it started in Sweden)it is used for all kinds of neurological patients. We are developing RGRM in the Netherlands now and Ronnie Gardiner is going to visit the USA in march. If you are interested you can find more on http://www.rgrminternational.com
    Best wishes from the Netherlands!

• Antoinette February 28, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Thank you, no, I have not heard of this yet, but Europe seem to be so much farther ahead in the acceptance and acknowledgement of non-pharmacutical therapies than we are here. Thank you for the url, I will certainly look it up!

6. Deborah Lipsi February 28, 2013 at 2:36 am

What a beautiful and thought provoking article. I don’t work with children, I work with the elderly who suffer from various levels of dementia. Dementia can often cause feelings of anxiety and uncertainty, causing many to be fearful and confused. We have a chimes choir and we often will play various rhythms with our chimes. The residents will follow and/or answer my rhythms and we have much fun. All of a sudden a room of 10-15 residents will be focused and smiling – all fears for the moment, gone and we are engaged as one group sharing one common goal of beautiful sound and movement of rhythm.

• Antoinette February 28, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Deborah, you have experienced exactly what I am talking about. And yes,this article does not only apply to those on the spectrum, that just happens to be the population I love to study and work with most! Thank you for sharing!

7. Joanne Lara Autism Movement Therapy February 28, 2013 at 6:04 am

Lovely!!! thank you for your insightfullness! Our kids love music and movement ~ and movement and music love them!We all need music and movement in our lives ….

• Antoinette February 28, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Ah movement, the combination of rhythm and movement, the basic ingreadients for facilitating new areas of growth!

8. Pingback: haga clic aquí
  9. Pingback: chèque 67
  10. Antoinette April 21, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Much of my information I have gotten from reading I have done. My most recent information on this subject I have gotten from Christine Stevens, another Music Therapist. You may find her on Facebook!

• Antoinette May 18, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Thank you so much! Are you in this field or one similar?

11. Pingback: Henningea